[Shop-talk] Ohh. My. God. Was: Re: Holy m#therf*cking ChrI$t HOW TO GET

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Ohh. My. God. Was: Re: Holy m#therf*cking ChrI$t HOW TO GET A TRAILER ONTO THE HITCH
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 12:21:50 -0500

--------------22BB3A01D74E8F94B1F2C339

Okay. Long story short(er):

I ended up disassembling the whole receiver. If the latch is a
two-pronged fork, at the belly of the "Y" was a blob of...weld spatter?
Or just a bad casting. A blob of metal sticking up. Anyway, the latch
would start to close on the ball then that blob would hit the ball and
it couldn't close.

I disassembled it entirely with an eye towards just manually putting the
latch under the ball then screwing it shut. It wouldn't screw shut.
There's a spring and it's hard to do, but it was stopped entirely.
Hanging upside down, in the rain and dirt, with my face right under a
precariously-supported trailer tongue is stupid even to me so I took the
whole hitch receiver off the trailer and disassembled. The blob was on
the top-ish part of the latch where I couldn't see it through the rain,
the fog on my glasses, and the frustration.

Removed the blob, re-assembled the whole thing. It works now. I sould
probably go as H-F for a new latch. I bet the missing chrome there is
going to rust.

I want to bash it with a hammer anyway. This whole thing is starting to
sour me on H-F.

There's no ground spot for the wiring as the instructions. No sweat,
I'll ground it to the clean metal of the receiver. The wiring plug
doesn't fit my truck--it's a male plug, but it's got the 'female' rubber
surrounding it. Circumcised plug--lights do not light. This is not a
complex wiring system. And I hate electrical troubleshooting so I think
I'm off to the store to buy a spool of wire and a new hitch plug and
I'll just re-wire the whole thing myself.

On 10/2/2018 10:23 AM, Randall wrote:
> I agree.
>
> Lift or jack it up off the ball and make sure the latch piece inside
> the trailer receiver is all the way down. Then move the tow vehicle
> forward by 1/2" or so, such that the ball rubs on the front of the
> receiver as you lower it back onto the ball.
> -- Randall
>
> On 2 October 2018 10:07:31 GMT-04:00, Jeff Scarbrough
> <fishplate@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     If you already fit the ball to the tongue, then it has to be the
>     latch piece is hung.
>
>     I'm going to go take a shower now...

--------------22BB3A01D74E8F94B1F2C339

  <head>
  </head>
      two-pronged fork, at the belly of the "Y" was a blob of...weld
      spatter? Or just a bad casting. A blob of metal sticking up.
      Anyway, the latch would start to close on the ball then that blob
      would hit the ball and it couldn't close.</p>
      putting the latch under the ball then screwing it shut. It
      wouldn't screw shut. There's a spring and it's hard to do, but it
      was stopped entirely. Hanging upside down, in the rain and dirt,
      with my face right under a precariously-supported trailer tongue
      is stupid even to me so I took the whole hitch receiver off the
      trailer and disassembled. The blob was on the top-ish part of the
      latch where I couldn't see it through the rain, the fog on my
      glasses, and the frustration.<br>
      sould probably go as H-F for a new latch. I bet the missing chrome
      there is going to rust.<br>
      starting to sour me on H-F.<br>
      sweat, I'll ground it to the clean metal of the receiver. The
      wiring plug doesn't fit my truck--it's a male plug, but it's got
      the 'female' rubber surrounding it. Circumcised plug--lights do
      not light. This is not a complex wiring system. And I hate
      electrical troubleshooting so I think I'm off to the store to buy
      a spool of wire and a new hitch plug and I'll just re-wire the
      whole thing myself.<br>
      cite="mid:115C2F96-4B48-4108-8FCF-16F9B9E75C6E@ca.rr.com">
      I agree. <br>
      Lift or jack it up off the ball and make sure the latch piece
      inside the trailer receiver is all the way down. Then move the tow
      vehicle forward by 1/2" or so, such that the ball rubs on the
      front of the receiver as you lower it back onto the ball.<br>
      -- Randall<br>
        Jeff Scarbrough <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:fishplate@gmail.com";>&lt;fishplate@gmail.com&gt;</a> wrote:
          0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
          padding-left: 1ex;">

--===============8025839633377632141==

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============8025839633377632141==--