[Shop-talk] Engineering question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Engineering question
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 20:48:31 GMT
Full-name: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
--===============4398739631298720444==

----__JWM__J3df735da.199e4ee5S.385663e2M

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and have plenty to be thankful f=
or! I am adding diesel storage capacity to my shop.I got a good deal on =
an aluminum semitruck fuel tank ( 26" diameter  68" long) and need to co=
nstruct a stand for it.These are normally secured on the truck with meta=
l straps or bands. For my stand I am considering constructing large "X" =
from pressure treated 4x4 and resting the tank in the upper V.I would ti=
e them together with 2x4 s to keep them from cocking.  I figure I would =
be safe with 3 Xs if any doubt, 4 to make sure. Question:  If I went wit=
h only 2 supports and kept them out on the ends, would the bending momen=
t (bowing) threaten the integrity of the tank?150 gallons is about 1000#=
.  Similarly, would the reduced "contact patch" of X mounts vice continu=
ous straps threaten the tank walls? I am sure I could dig out my old Sta=
tics book and find the equation, but don't have a design bending limit f=
or the tank.I am anticipating that just 2 supports, especially out at th=
e ends would be too risky.  Thanks for your thoughts,Matt in GA
----__JWM__J3df735da.199e4ee5S.385663e2M

 thankful for!</div>
 &nbsp;68" long) and need to construct a stand for it.</div>
treated 4x4 and resting the tank in the upper V.</div>
sp;I figure I would be safe with 3 Xs if any doubt, 4 to make sure.</div=

 the ends, would the bending moment (bowing) threaten the integrity of t=
he tank?</div>
tact patch" of X mounts vice continuous straps threaten the tank walls?<=
/div>
 equation, but don't have a design bending limit for the tank.</div>
would be too risky.</div>

--===============4398739631298720444==--