Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer storage idea

To: eric@megageek.com,Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer storage idea
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 19:18:34 -0400
Authentication-results: mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net smtp.user=strovato; auth=pass (LOGIN) a=jTihidCUsOtGAzglZBXHMA==:117 a=jTihidCUsOtGAzglZBXHMA==:17 a=L9H7d07YOLsA:10 a=9cW_t1CCXrUA:10 a=s5jvgZ67dGcA:10 a=qktwJq4hAAAA:8 a=iEZWaKCLAAAA:8 a=Js5qrdOmAgsTnxMevL4A:9 a=CjuIK1q_8ugA:10 a=d4dsOY6_-DAA:10 a=YGsPa_EajX0A:10 a=Rv0WogbgPi_6JwolhnwA:9 a=JLCNJytEKnQeaslo:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=0CA7D-RTES95-rHXWHvk:22 a=vGgPcN4G-ktUWJNYb7fx:22

--=====================_621489653==.ALT

I don't know of any car dollies that you can drive onto.  The only
ones I know of that don't require jacking are go-jaks and their
clones.  Go-jaks are great, but expensive.  They, and all of the
dollies I am familiar with, have casters.  I have never heard of
dollies with rollers.  An asphalt floor would definitely be a problem
for most dollies with casters.  Any with high quality casters are
awesome on a truly flat concrete floor.  As the floor surface gets
rougher, they get much harder to use.  Note, I said high quality
casters.  Many dollies come with terrible casters, especially any of
the cheap Chinese ones.

For boat trailers I have used jacks like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22300.html

I have considered mounting another pair at the rear end of the
trailer for maneuvering in situations like yours.  I haven't ever
tried it, though.  They aren't too expensive, though, if you want to
give that a try.  My trailer is open.  This may not make sense for an
enclosed trailer.

People have been maneuvering trailers and cars using floor jacks for
ages.  Of course, that doesn't work too well on a rough surface either.

-Steve

At 05:17 PM 10/20/2016, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>I have an idea that I was wondering if anyone could let me know
>their opinion.
>
>I have a large dual axle car trailer.  I store it in a building and
>I need a fork-lift to maneuver it into it's storage space.
>
>I was wonder if I could use a set of car dollies (the ones that go
>under the tires) to pull the trailer straight back onto them and the
>manually push the trailer laterally into it's spot so I wouldn't
>need to use the fork-lift.
>
>Here are my concerns...
>
>1 Getting the trailer on and off the dollies (do I need to jack it
>up or can I drive them on them.)
>
>2 What is a good set of dollies?  (I only need to move it laterally,
>so I don't need a set with casters, just the ones with the rollers
>should be fine.)
>
>3 Finally, the building has an asphalt floor.  I would imagine that
>the rollers would sink into them.  So I would need to get them on a
>wood plank.  What is the minimum thickest of plank to prevent
>sinking, but easy enough to roll the trailer onto?

--=====================_621489653==.ALT

I don't know of any car dollies that you can drive onto.&nbsp; The only
ones I know of that don't require jacking are go-jaks and their
clones.&nbsp; Go-jaks are great, but expensive.&nbsp; They, and all of
the dollies I am familiar with, have casters.&nbsp; I have never heard of
dollies with rollers.&nbsp; An asphalt floor would definitely be a
problem for most dollies with casters.&nbsp; Any with high quality
casters are awesome on a truly flat concrete floor.&nbsp; As the floor
surface gets rougher, they get much harder to use.&nbsp; Note, I said
high quality casters.&nbsp; Many dollies come with terrible casters,
especially any of the cheap Chinese ones.&nbsp; <br><br>
For boat trailers I have used jacks like this:&nbsp; <br><br>
eudora="autourl">
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22300.html</a><br>
I have considered mounting another pair at the rear end of the trailer
for maneuvering in situations like yours.&nbsp; I haven't ever tried it,
though.&nbsp; They aren't too expensive, though, if you want to give that
a try.&nbsp; My trailer is open.&nbsp; This may not make sense for an
enclosed trailer.&nbsp; <br><br>
People have been maneuvering trailers and cars using floor jacks for
ages.&nbsp; Of course, that doesn't work too well on a rough surface
either.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve<br><br>
At 05:17 PM 10/20/2016, eric@megageek.com wrote:<br>
I was wondering if anyone could let me know their opinion.&nbsp; </font>
building and I need a fork-lift to maneuver it into it's storage
that go under the tires) to pull the trailer straight back onto them and
the manually push the trailer laterally into it's spot so I wouldn't need
it laterally, so I don't need a set with casters, just the ones with the
imagine that the rollers would sink into them.&nbsp; So I would need to
get them on a wood plank.&nbsp; What is the minimum thickest of plank to
prevent sinking, but easy enough to roll the trailer onto?</font>

--===============2511434369973682978==

--===============2511434369973682978==--