Re: [Shop-talk] falling headliner fix?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] falling headliner fix?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:25:23 -0700
On 4/19/2016 9:34 AM, jibrooks@live.com wrote:
> Back when I had a Saab 9000 with the same issue I put upholstery twist
> pins (hillman pn 122264) into the cardboard backer material. This will
> only work if the basket is soft like cardboard.

Back when I had a '92 Saab 9000 Turbo with the same issue (as well as
dashpad cracks around the sun sensor) I stumbled onto a later CSE in the
junkyard on half-price day with a perfect headliner and a perfect dashpad.

The headliner and upper dash pad went home with me that day.

As did the entire moonroof pan assembly, once I realized it bolted in
place and wasn't welded in like BMWs etc.   Saab had started
decontenting the US-market cars in the early '90s as the dollar started
crushing European currencies (Saab 9000T $37K, Audi 200TQ Avant $48K,
BMW M5 $56K) and so by '92 the 9000s were getting steel sunroofs, but
they put back the glass in the higher-spec models later.

So a weekend later I had a '92 9000 Turbo with a fresh dash, a fresh
headliner, and a glass moonroof.

Moral to the story: if you're a passable wrench, and you have
self-service junkyards nearby, and you can't find someone to do a
recover locally at a decent price, depending on the age of the vehicle
replacement may be an option too.

John.