[Shop-talk] Alternator terminals

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Alternator terminals
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 19:33:33 -0700
--===============0951338507701055684==
 boundary="------------070605060907050405090300"

--------------070605060907050405090300

Our PE department got rid of a bunch of exercise equipment.  I pulled a
nice commercial exercise bike out of the metal recycle and had the kids
strip all the plastic off of it, and I found the guts of it are an
automotive type alternator and a big resistor.  I want to hook it up as
a current source for a battery charger/light bulbs/ammeter/something to
give the kids an idea of how much actual work a KW is.

The alternator is a Mando 38611-101.   A picture of the alternator is here:

http://www.gympart.com/itemdesc.aspx?ic=LCA10

If you look at the picture on the link above and rotate it 90 degrees so
the black plastic part is at 6:00, it has the following terminals:
On the black plastic part, "Ex" and "S".

On the main body of the alternator, clockwise from 8:00 the terminals
are "L2", "P", "B" and "E".   There is also a ground terminal.

If you look a this chart,

> http://dasko.co.nz/articles/alternator-terminals-explained

It looks like all I would need to hook up to would be the "B" terminal
and the ground and I can ignore the rest.

Do I have this right?

On an automotive alternator how fast does it normally have to spin to
put out 12V?

Thanks
Dave

--------------070605060907050405090300

  <head>

  </head>
    Our PE department got rid of a bunch of exercise equipment.  I
    pulled a nice commercial exercise bike out of the metal recycle and
    had the kids strip all the plastic off of it, and I found the guts
    of it are an automotive type alternator and a big resistor.  I want
    to hook it up as a current source for a battery charger/light
    bulbs/ammeter/something to give the kids an idea of how much actual
    work a KW is.  <br>
    The alternator is a Mando 38611-101.   A picture of the alternator
    is here:<br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.gympart.com/itemdesc.aspx?ic=LCA10";>http://www.gympart.com/itemdesc.aspx?ic=LCA10</a><br>
    If you look at the picture on the link above and rotate it 90
    degrees so the black plastic part is at 6:00, it has the following
    terminals:<br>
    On the black plastic part, "Ex" and "S".  <br>
    On the main body of the alternator, clockwise from 8:00 the
    terminals are "L2", "P", "B" and "E".   There is also a ground
    terminal.  <br>
    If you look a this chart,<br>
href="http://dasko.co.nz/articles/alternator-terminals-explained";>http://dasko.co.nz/articles/alternator-terminals-explained</a></blockquote>
    It looks like all I would need to hook up to would be the "B"
    terminal and the ground and I can ignore the rest.  <br>
    Do I have this right?  <br>
    On an automotive alternator how fast does it normally have to spin
    to put out 12V?  <br>
    Thanks<br>
    Dave<br>
      <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p><br>