Re: [Shop-talk] tracing an oil leak

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>, "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tracing an oil leak
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:43:26 -0500
X_cmae_category: , , a=I0wsP0/ub+0M/VQyKFHlEA==:117 a=I0wsP0/ub+0M/VQyKFHlEA==:17 a=L9H7d07YOLsA:10 a=9cW_t1CCXrUA:10 a=s5jvgZ67dGcA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=abGQ1uS49_bEbqF8NoUA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10
Real mechanics might add a UV dye, run the engine and use a UV light to try
to locate the leak.

I'd clean off any suspect areas, dry them and dust some baby powder on the
areas. That helps reveal small leaks. And of course you have to take gravity
& air flow into account and work backwards to find the source. I've also
held a sheet of clean white paper near any suspect areas. That helps reveal
a fine oil mist that might otherwise be difficult to see.

How significant is the oil leak? You can buy a lot of oil for what it might
cost to find & fix a small leak. But your daughter would have to check/add
oil regularly.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC