Re: [Shop-talk] The one tool we have never discussed here!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] The one tool we have never discussed here!
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 14:00:08 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, John Miller wrote:
> I've fixed a couple recent Dysons for friends, the mechanical elements of the
> things are stunningly fragile and things like the drive clutch must be
> replaced as assemblies.  Not hard to do, and not expensive, but it'd have
> cost a buck more a unit for Dyson to do it right.  I'd never buy one.

    I'm kind of amazed by Dyson, especially the commercials they are now
running about how they allegedly torture test units.  I have three of
them... because I need three to have enough spare parts on hand when they
invariably break.  They are pretty simple to repair, but engineered to
last they are certainly not.  I'd be livid if I had ever bought one new,
but mine all came second-hand.

    I should bite the bullet and just get one machine that'll last and
dispose of my multi-colored menagerie.

--
  David Hillman