Re: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper

To: Matt Wehland <mjw@littlegrassy.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 21:17:28 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--001a1134145aacf7a20528a0f47c

Is the left-rear caliper the furthest from the master cylinder?  On my
4Runner (2004) this was the first one that would exhibit sticking (I
measured the stickiness by driving around the block and measure the
temperature on each rotor with an IR temp gun).  All the pins, slides, and
eventually the pistons would corrode and drag.  I could take the calipers
apart, sand, wire-wheel, and lubricate to get them to work again (and lower
the relative temperature measured).  OR, I found I could bleed the system
(carefully/well) and get the far caliper to stop sticking for a while--I
think you were going this direction with your logic of a blocked line.
Perhaps, air in the lines doesn't allow enough vacuum to retract the
piston?  Or the bleeding washes out "gunk" (tech term!).

Ymmv,
Ian

--001a1134145aacf7a20528a0f47c

aster cylinder?=C2=A0 On my 4Runner (2004) this was the first one that woul=
d exhibit sticking (I measured the stickiness by driving around the block a=
nd measure the temperature on each rotor with an IR temp gun).=C2=A0 All th=
e pins, slides, and eventually the pistons would corrode and drag.=C2=A0 I =
could take the calipers apart, sand, wire-wheel, and lubricate to get them =
to work again (and lower the relative temperature measured).=C2=A0 OR, I fo=
und I could bleed the system (carefully/well) and get the far caliper to st=
op sticking for a while--I think you were going this direction with your lo=
gic of a blocked line.=C2=A0 Perhaps, air in the lines doesn&#39;t allow en=
ough vacuum to retract the piston?=C2=A0 Or the bleeding washes out &quot;g=

--001a1134145aacf7a20528a0f47c--

--===============6125017921082026449==

--===============6125017921082026449==--