Re: [Shop-talk] Floor repair

To: "'Robert nogueira'" <nogera@me.com>, "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Floor repair
From: "Pat Horne" <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 09:10:56 -0600
Bob,

You can just replace the spongy part, but it would be better to replace a
bigger area. If I were doing it, I would cut out a section about half way
between the joist and the next one on each side. With your joists on 16"
centers, the patch would be about 32" wide. This makes for stronger support
of the area. I would also screw 2x4's around all the edges of the opening,
half under the old wood and half to support the new. Use adhesive and screws
to secure it.

While you have the floor open look to see what might have caused the wood to
fail in the first place. Is the location under or near the frig? There may
be a leak there. There may be a duct under the floor that could be leaking
moist air in that area. Plywood doesn't usually fail like that by itself.

Peace,
Pat