Re: [Shop-talk] Buying a new compressor of just the 'compressor'?

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Buying a new compressor of just the 'compressor'?
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:12:35 -0800
> My question, is it better to replace the whole
> unit, or just
> the compressor pump?

Even here in relatively dry southern California, my last (cheap) compressor
tank rusted through and started leaking before the
compressor packed it in.  At one point I also had the pressure control switch
malfunction and leave the compressor running; plus the
pop-off valve didn't do it's job (apparently full of wasp's nest).  Probably
lucky it didn't explode, but the single stage
compressor would only go so high.  The PRV sure screamed a long time after I
touched it, though!  So if you're looking to go another
20 years, my suggestion would be to replace all of it.

> So, if you were buying a new compressor, what one would you
> go for under
> $2000?  (240v of course.)

Ingersoll-Rand is the "gold standard" for air compressors IMO.  I'd find an IR
model that suits your needs and go with that.  The
one I use was made by IR, but sold by Sears.  It's probably 20 years old by now
(I bought it used) and still going strong, but I
don't use it all that much.

-- Randall