Re: [Shop-talk] Mouse traps/poison

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mouse traps/poison
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 17:30:33 -0700
Gordie wrote:

>What prompted my purchase of the pail is having my AC fail in 90* weather only
>to find mama mouse laid out across the terminals of the start/run capacitor
>for the motor.

         That's similar to what prompted me to start baiting.  I started
see rat poop on the engine cover of my car.  With a modern car and it's
reliance on electronics, chewed up wiring is Very Bad Indeed.
         That was the idea behind placing bait station around the house -
to make the property a dead zone for rodents.  Any that wander over from
the neighbors find some tasty treats laid out for them and it's goodbye rat.

         Here's one trick I used to keep them out of my car.  Some bait
comes in "place packs".  These are small paper envelopes filled with an
ounce or two of bait pellets.  The paper is permeable so the rodents can
smell the bait.  The packs are intended to allow you to place bait in areas
not easily reachable.  For example, you could place them in an attic or
crawlspace by just flinging them into the area.
         I taped one to my engine cover so that the rat that was hanging
out under the hood would be sure to find it.  I checked it every
morning.  If the pack was untouched, I left it on and drove around with it
still attached.  If it was chewed, I removed the pack so pellets weren't
getting all over the place.  That worked great until the bait stations were
being used regularly and wiped out the local colony.  If I see any rat poop
since, I do the place packs for a week or so just to make sure I get 'em.

Todd the rat killer