Re: [Shop-talk] network mechanics

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] network mechanics
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 20:24:00 -0400
There shouldn't  be any problems with multiple access points on the same
network with the same SSID/password.  Just make sure you configure the
additional devices to operate as access points and not routers (you
don't want multiple routers handing out IP addresses).  Modern WIFI
clients are smart enough to seamlessly switch between access points as
you move around your house/yard/workshop (not unlike the way your
cellphone (generally) seamlessly switches between towers).

You mentioned using some old B/G routers as your access points. That's
fine.  I assume this means that you've upgraded your network to N or one
of the newer ACxxxx flavors.  If that's the case then be aware that
mixing 2.4ghz B/G devices and 2.4ghz N devices on the same network can
cause performance problems (obviously anything operating on 5ghz
frequencies will be unaffected).  Whether or not you'll be affected by
this depends on the client devices you'll be using (phones, tablets,
laptops, etc) and what kind of network activity they perform.  If your
devices are just checking mail for the most part then you probably won't
notice.  If you're streaming video, then you might need to rethink things.

(By the way, if your B/G routers are old, you might want to check if
there exists a third party firmware image from the likes of DD-WRT,
OpenWRT or Tomato.  These firmwares tend to be far more full-featured
and more secure than OEM.)