Re: [Shop-talk] Eddy current brake

To: "'Ian McFetridge'" <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>, "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Eddy current brake
From: "Pat Horne" <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 16:47:47 -0500
Ian,

Any chance you know how the unit feels when it is turned off? It could be
either fully braked or totally free. I would expect it to be free. If so
the first thing I would do is to unplug the connector that connects the
brake to the circuit board. If the resistance is still the same, there is a
mechanical problem with the brake or a bearing around there.

If it is now free, there is an electrical control problem. Capacitors go bad
and it is not a big thing to just order replacements and solder them in. The
problem may be in the control panel rather than on the board in the photo
though. Things get more complex up there.

Let me know what you find.

Peace,
Pat