Re: [Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:37:41 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
References: <0NSW00LJHHB3IVJ0@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> <eef365df-609b-4296-ad8b-3960227bf20f@email.android.com> <0NSX004MC7PK9C00@mta1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> <CAO8Q7CPHYSA=NOtUFKA8AohqTRL89dVmzi0hgDJ6e0CVYLgscA@mail.gmail.com> <0NSX00M05ELAHCF0@mta5.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> <CAK73_u7LVnawN+wmFBSyELnNFfnZ7RnbTYukOMfUS8m8TkqcWw@mail.gmail.com> <0NSX00LO4GR78P50@mta6.srv.hcvlny.cv.net> <CAK73_u6Ah2UUAR+5h91gZzGfHasxwowJOZy_euKge7K5TL=WzA@mail.gmail.com> <0NSX000C3KOD5I60@mta6.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>
Nah, man, I was going to do all my air pipe in type M copper (because it's
easier for me to work with) before I gave in, so I won't give you a hard
time. And like I said, I worked with my face two feet from a sch. 40 air
line for years (before I knew better).

I'll never, ever recommend any one do air lines in anything but black iron,
but the whole, "You'll put your eye out!!!" is counter-productive, I think.
It goes against experience. It's not a great idea, but it's also not an
immediate death sentence. And I agree that the likely failure of copper is
a split, not an explosion. But it *can* happen (just like sch. 40 can
rupture catastrophically, even if when it blew up in our shop is was just a
loud noise with zero injury).

I agree with Benjamin--the real risk with copper is the solder melting if
too close to the compressor.

Having said all that, I don't mind doing my gas lines in black iron if
that's the 'right' way to do it. I need to learn how, and I'm wondering if
iron will be cheaper than copper, anyway. No matter what I'm going to have
normal shut-off valves--with handles-- places appropriately.

Scott

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
wrote:

> I knew when I wrote that I would be opening that can of worms yet again.
> Go search around and find any evidence of "copper shrapnel everywhere."
> What you say is true for PVC, but I really don't think it applies to
> copper.  If a pipe split or a joint failed, I believe that there would be a
> lot of rushing air and the compressor would work really hard to try to
> pressurize the whole garage, but I don't think anything dangerous would
> happen.  I think there is greater risk to having an air hose fail and
> whipping all over.  Copper seems to be a legitimate choice for compressed
> air, though not everyone's first choice.  Here is one source (

http://www.exair.com/en-US/Primary%20Navigation/Knowledge%20Base/Air%20Data/P
ages/CompressedAirPiping.aspx),