Re: [Shop-talk] Optima batteries

To: "'Tim .'" <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>, "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Optima batteries
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 06:44:21 -0700
> I've read that you have to have a special charger to charge this type of
> battery but I cannot find that information anymore.
>
> Can I put a Batter Tender trickle charger on a yellow top?

Of course you _can_, the real question is what happens when you do <g>

After comparing specs for the Optima Yellowtop
<http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/battery-care/charging/>
And the Deltran "Battery Tender Plus"
<http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Deltran%20battery%20charger%2
0spec%20sheets.pdf>

I'd say that the BT+ is not totally optimal, as it doesn't take the
absorption phase voltage quite as high as suggested by Optima (14.4 volts vs
14.7 volts plus a 1hr 2 amp finishing charge); but should work well enough.

In practice, I doubt you'll notice the difference.  Battery life might be
just a tiny bit shorter, but there are so many other factors that affect
battery life that it will be impossible to know if using the BT+ had
anything to do with it.

Randall