Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical install questions

To: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical install questions
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 17:53:44 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Aug 1, 2015, at 18:51, John Miller <jem@milleredp.com> wrote:

>> parallel with the studs (where that makes sense, of course), and needs
>> to be 1 1/4 away from the edge.  If it can't be, it has to be
>> protected from nails by a plate,
>
> You mean perpendicular to the stud and if it goes through a hole in the stud
w/o plate it needs to be min 1 1/4 from each face, correct?   You can have
Romex/NM nailed to a stud but you want it to go thru the hole as horizontally
as possible.

That too, but wires run along a framing member needs to be 1 1/4 inches from
the edge or protected by a metal plate. (There's an exception for fishing
after finishing. ). See nec 300-4 (d).

> Also if my old info is still valid don't want to run parallel with any
low-voltage circuits (Cat5/Cat6 or phone, etc.) within (?) distance so as not
to induce 60Hz interference, want to maintain (12in?) clearance and cross LV
circuits perpendicularly.