Re: [Shop-talk] Wire splices ...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wire splices ...
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 16:39:25 -0700
> Third choice is at an existing splice.  Mid span splices are evil, and
> all of them will eventually fail, one way or another.

I can't speak specifically to that product, but I've used screw-in
products like that before and they...did not work worth extruded fecal
matter.

Not that I like the Scotchtap guillotines either; they work fine for a
while, and if sized correctly they don't destroy the wire, but vibration
and/or corrosion will eventually result in a failed connection.  I use
them in one application and one application only - Valentine 1 remote
wiring adapters on cars that have ignition-switched power to something
(sunroof, dome light) in the forward headliner area.  In our driveway
right now that means two E39 and one E53 BMW, and the Scotchtaps have
been in two of them for 15 years without trouble.

In other applications, no thanks.  I've had to rip out and rewire
several aftermarket alarm installations that were done with a forest of
Scotchtaps.

When I need to do a PERMANENT tap, I'll cut the wire, slip a piece of
heatshrink over it, a butt-joint crimp sleeve (bare kind, not the
insulated ones) and crimp it in place with an appropriate tool, adding a
pigtail on one side.  When necessary you can get stepped sleeves that
are smaller on one side than the other.  Then heatshrink, and put an
appopriate connector on the pigtail.   It's a hassle, but it's
production-quality.

John.