Re: [Shop-talk] Air conditioner

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air conditioner
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 18:03:29 -0500
Cc: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> On Jul 16, 2015, at 13:14, Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Guys,
>
> New house has an air conditioned (!) garage. Yes, that was a reason I liked
> that house.
>
> Air conditioner seems dead. Digital thermostat not functional (as in not
> getting power).
>
> Near the air handler (all these terms may or may not be accurate) in the
> attic, there's a junction box/fuse box/single-purpose breaker box. The
> function of this box, as near as I can tell, is to be a cutout for the a/c
> system. So you pull the power to the box if you want to service the system.
> That way you don't have to get at the breaker box in the basement of the
> house.
>
> Anyway, in this box, there's a...contraption. The contraption consists of a
> male/female setup. It looks like it's there to stop the power to the
> system, you pull the male "plug" out of the female sockets in which it
> fits. Like an old-timey lever-and-contact electric thing you see in
> cartoons when they're electrocuting Bugs Bunny or something, but it's not
> attached. You just pull it out.

That sounds like a typical av disconnect.

> The male part is sitting next to the box. Probably why there's no power to
> the system. Flipping over the male part, I see two fairly-large cylindrical
> fuses (I'm pretty sure they're fuses). They seem to be okay. There are
> various copper blades sticking out of the male part that fit into ports on
> the female part.

But the fuses are usually (always, in my experience) fixed on female side of
the disconnect.  They're time delay fuses, sized based on the ac. A picture
would be nice. I can't tell if you have an unusual disconnect or a broken one.

  One thing to remember is that the supply side terminals in the box are
always hot when the breaker is on.  You can check there is 240 between them.