Re: [Shop-talk] Brake Pads

To: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brake Pads
From: Jim Stone <1789alpine@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:33:17 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Thanks John.  My follow-up question was going to be on the value of
inexpensive rotors.  :)

The only reason for wanting to avoid replacing the rotors (besides just being
cheap) is because they are held on with two screws that seems to almost always
rust in place. From all that I have read, those two screws turn this from a
quick simple job to one that can take a day.  Many report minutes to change
the pads and hours to remove the screws.  I was hoping I could avoid that, but
probably not.  So, any good recommendations on aftermarket pads and rotors
will be appreciated.

Jim

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 3:28 PM, John Miller <jem@milleredp.com> wrote:
>
> On 7/2/2015 11:56 AM, Jim Stone wrote:
>> I had the timing chain replaced yesterday on my 2007 Honda Ridgeline
(190,000
>> miles) and was told that the front brakes only had a little life left in
them,
>> but that the rotors couldnbt be turned so I needed to replace everything
>> the tune of more than $400.
>
> Turning rotors is generally a fool's game these days, and I see a few
choices in reasonable quality replacement rotors for an '07 Ridgeline in
RockAuto's catalog for $30-40 each.