Re: [Shop-talk] do we have any metal guys here of high caliber? (shop re

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] do we have any metal guys here of high caliber? (shop related)
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:39:18 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
The thickness is not so much the thing as the grade of steel.  You need a
minimum of AR500 for the rifle calibers, and preferably AR550 (if you can
find it).  3/8" is probably good enough for 5.56 at 100 yards, but not any
closer/, if you want to shoot closer or move up to magnum calibers, you
need at least 1/2".  Even 1/2" of AR500 is going to get dimpled at any
range less than 50 yards when shooting rifle calibers.

Not for the tricky part, cutting AR grade steel is a pain in the butt.  The
AR designation means that it is abrasion resistant.  This is accomplished
via surface heat treating.  Cutting AR500 with a torch (and to a lesser
degree a plasma cutter) heats the steel enough to destroy the heat treat
along the cut edge.  So for small targets, you can completely destroy the
AR treatment and end up with pain old steel.  Laser and water jut cutting
greatly reduces this, but does not eliminate it.  Another solution is to
redo the AR heat treat after cutting the parts out.  This requires a
specialized fixture that can heat treat the surfaces without hardening the
whole piece.

For this reason, most folks who don't have access to high end metal cutting
equipment just buy already made targets like you describe.