Re: [Shop-talk] Halogen replacement bulbs

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Halogen replacement bulbs
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:54:23 -0800
Cc: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> This appears to be the flood lamp replacement LED blub.
> Definitely pricey
> at $27 but if it lasts at least 27 times longer the cost
> could easily be
> justified.  Depending one other responses to my query I might
> give it a try.
>
> https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-tube/8w-r7s-led-f
loodlight-replacement-lamp/1192/2808/

Perhaps I am confused about what we are talking about?  That thing only puts
out 700 lumens or so, less than a 60 watt incandescent.

I assumed the question was about those 500 watt halogen "sticks" that put out
over 10 times as much light.  Eg,
http://tinyurl.com/nasolzq

Sorry, I can't help with how long they last.  I only have them in a some shop
lights that I almost never use.

Just a thought though: High power bare LED "pucks" are pretty cheap if you buy
them in bulk on flea-bay.  For example, here is
10,000 lumens worth for $12.
http://tinyurl.com/mk6e5tm
Too soon to say how long it will last, but so far I've had good luck using JB
Weld to secure them to a heavy aluminum plate as a
heat sink.  Of course then you'll need a suitable power supply, but the
Internet is full of designs.  Here's one that is
transformerless (ie cheap) and I think should be fairly easily scaled for
higher current LEDs.
http://downloads.deusm.com/designnews/20121126-LED-DESK-LAMP.pdf

-- Randall