Re: [Shop-talk] Shop door combo lock not opening in freezing cold

To: "eric@megageek.com" <eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop door combo lock not opening in freezing cold
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:48:14 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
If you're trying to fix it, I'd remove it and put it in an oven at around
105 Celsius (~220 Fahrenheit) for a couple hours.  That is warm enough to
evaporate any moisture, but cool enough not to wreck any plastics.  Then
wipe it out internally the best you can and lubricate it with graphite or
silicon or something else that won't get too viscous in extreme cold.

I'm working on keyless access to my shop, and I have this in my Amazon
wishlist right now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026SZNW4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&c
olid=HIRUHJ9AFCEB&coliid=I2GTXBIF49K8SE&psc=1

So if you have too hard a time fixing what you have, you might just want to
replace it with a decent keypad deadbolt.  They're not terribly expensive
and they're fairly secure.

-Paul

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM, <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> I have this lock on my shop door...(not this exact model, but they are
> pretty universal.)

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/929947669100305996?q=simplex+combinat
ion+door+lock&biw=1280&bih=909&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.85464276,d.eXY&t
ch=1&ech=1&psi=RYLWVI7nNcShNr7YgYAC.1423344205404.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX0CIlsO
CNb676a1hTuvMidoOrU4cTHVwJVJNw-E-BwqN04yAthx_STsdpJZAXMMX4zKfLyACf2dnx6HxedIx
dRzBMgXwa0PrJmwPAlY92gZ7ZGYTzhIZAFPVH727dL1KTdKA2mzicfWeyaS1qu25bw&sa=X&ei=SY
LWVOL2FcmlNs2dg9gM&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAA