Re: [Shop-talk] Disc brake piston explosion

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Disc brake piston explosion
From: Neil Sherry <neiljsherry@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:33:35 +0000
That looks like a phenolic type of material (hard plastic stuff). I
would say that has been caused by excessive heat and/or time.

I had a 1992 BMW that had the waterpump impeller made of similar
material - they work fine at normal temperatures, but if there is
overheating (for example when the radiator  or a hose fails and the
coolant escapes) the resulting overheat causes the impeller to crack and
fall of the end of the waterpump shaft.
Neil