Re: [Shop-talk] Truck instrument cluster, dash, and parking lights die

To: "Shop-talk" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Truck instrument cluster, dash, and parking lights died
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:46:25 -0500
At 11:02 PM 1/21/2015, Brian Kemp wrote:

 >Scott - I have no specific experience here, but I'd start by taking
out the new
 >radio and harness.  This will reduce the likelihood that they are
the problem.
 >Maybe putting in the new radio pulled or squashed a wire.  .....

Brian,

Excellent responce.

The only additional thing I can think of is, does the new radio
(which will be out of
the system when Scott removes I new radio harness) require more power than the
old one, ie, does it have a built in amp?  If so then it may be
pulling too much
current and blown a fuse, a fusable link, or melted a run in the dash cluster.

Like Brian, I have no experience with this vechile, but I do have
experience with
the Chyslers mini vans.  I know they have a habbit of a problem
similar to what
Scott describes.  There is a cold solder join on the main connector
that supplies
power to the dash cluster.  Hitting the dash will make the connection
occassionally
and the dash lights and insturment will come back for a little
while.  You have to pull
the cluster to fix this problem.

John

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---