[Shop-talk] Water heater leak

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Water heater leak
From: David Cole <dgcole01@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 19:47:05 -0600
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s2048; d=bellsouth.net; b=pI7KbL/qE6vuxyBzN0T7nWSSyaF+PmZWhVh/LI5uvEF0m4Yi7s4qnZxzHj0RoaYkxiKC3Us1fDQk9B9zMFf26FfWvj57CbMNI2FyXugJrAKc4IaJ7fCDnuGXN42329YjC/K9q197UFU2yEO9r7tFQpjhCFqVVw0M5bVNK1kVVLpSOvreiWqG1zpfQJ61PC0a33sbCTjUZLnsaxk0bGEp7gXgFp18OxS3CVglAWxSrkCVv9ZeAeZ8PkDV5w5kNYUq7fyBWGMCEh+VGsg1OKCcWaCya/CXjA+WaCWbs5FRkCNyaiLW+8DzTbTd5EdvnV2HMDX17VDxZS5YRqyC6Q4sAA==;
Hello all,

I've got an issue with my water heater.  50 gal electric.  Installed 2011 with
a 6 yr warranty.  I just bought the house 4 months ago.

It's in the basement bathroom.  I had noticed the floor wet around the unit
and thought I had a foundation leak issue.  Was happy when I just happened to
be in there when it puked a little water out the temp/pressure relief valve.
I removed it and there was a little corrosion in the valve and some white
substance similar to toothpaste ( lime?)

Replaced the valve under warranty.  Thank you US Waterheater!

I also turned the temp down from 130ish to the std 125 deg.  Wanted to make
sure there was not too much expansion.   Put a small bucket under the pipe
attached to the TPR valve.  The floor has dried up nicely even after heavy
rains so the foundation is good.

However, I'm still getting a little discharge from the TPR valve into the
bucket.  About a quart every 2-3 days.  We do use a lot of hot water with the
wife and 2 college age girls.  Have not checked the pressure but it doesn't
seem above normal.  Just good solid pressure.  The TPR valve is rated at 150
psi and/or 200 deg.

Ideas for a solution?