Re: [Shop-talk] direct burial Cat 5

To: "Tim ." <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] direct burial Cat 5
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:22:04 -0600
On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Tim . <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com> wrote:
> "Powerline Ethernet" The write up says "Consumes only 0.5 watts of power in
> stand-by mode." Wonder how high this goes under high usage.

The one I watched with a meter used about 2 watts averaged out over a
few days.  I didn't watch for power use under load, though.

 But I really
> wonder is how this would do in an old house that still have knob and tube in
> some spots..... tim

There's no reason they wouldn't work.  They work by putting a number
of high frequency carriers on the cable, which should be passed fine
by any safe electrical wiring.  They won't make it across a
transformer.

Assuming the OPs shop and house share a meter, it would be on my list
ahead of digging a trench.  So would a point-to-point wireless setup.