Re: [Shop-talk] led security lighting vrs incandescent`

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] led security lighting vrs incandescent`
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:48:07 -0500
I'll echo what has been said about avoiding Feit Electric. We redid our
kitchen a little more than 3 years ago and have about 7 of the Cree
in-ceiling lights, and they're great. We also have 8 PAR38 cans in the
basement, and I replaced all of those incandescent bulbs with Cree LED
bulbs about a year ago, and all of those are still just fine.

We have some CF lights in some places where I just turn the light on and
leave it on for hours. I have seen plenty of evidence that short-cycles
with fluorescent bulbs leads to short bulb lifespans. I won't buy any more
CF bulbs. LED is just as cost-effective, and doesn't have that pesky
mercury (and is not as fragile).

For security lighting that isn't on for long periods, incandescent is still
a very cost-effective solution. I bought a security light with built-in
LEDs, and haven't installed it yet. I'll report back what I find. It isn't
high-powered for distant wide-angle coverage, it is designed for over an
outside doorway or similar.

Regarding light color, I have found that the 5000K and up bulbs are far too
cold/sterile/harsh for my liking. I have found that (to my eye)
temperatures between 3000K and 3500K (typical mid-point color temperature
choice) yield the most "natural" lighting, and are often mistaken for
conventional/halogen incandescent.

-Peter