Re: [Shop-talk] Shop-talk Digest, Vol 8, Issue 156

To: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop-talk Digest, Vol 8, Issue 156
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:25:18 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm learning more about wells than I want to know (though I still know
> nearly nothing), but apparently the 'well' itself doesn't need to supply so
> much water--or the size of the pump doesn't vary as much as I thought it
> would. It's the size of the holding tank, and the pump from that tank that
> matters. The idea is that the pump (apparently) will run more-or-less
> constantly filling this monster tank (depending on how much water you plan
> to use). Then you draw down the tank all at once, and the pump spends the
> next two days re-filling it.
>
> Or, when I asked about a well to supply El Shower Maximus at the house, he
> said the well pump itself was fine. There needed to be a bigger tank, and
> bigger lines from that tank, and a pump to pump the water *from* the tank,
> but the same scrawny well pump itself (to the tank) is fine from a tiny
> house up to commercial applications. The tank is a sort of...capacitor, I
> guess. The current supply in can be low. If I got that analogy right.

This depends on local practice, which depends on local water supply.
If it's easy to bore a well that can deliver large volume, then that's
usually what's done.  (Where I used to live in Indiana, 100 gpm out of
a 5" well was pretty common nominal capacity, though most houses had
lower capacity pumps.)  If it's not, then holding tank and a pump that
runs more or less continuously gets used.  For a typical single family
house, a peak water usage of 600 gallons in two hours is the standard
design goal.  With no storage, that requires a 5 GPM well.  That's
easy in the midwest and much of the east.  In arid areas, or rocky
areas, that can be hard.  With suitable storage, even a 1 gpm well can
provide that.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com