Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 19:00:41 -0700
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
This thing is driving me crazy.

A couple of weeks ago after all the back-and-forth on the list, I had
managed to convince myself that the circuit board was bad.  I ordered a
new one from Amazon and put it in; it was a perfect fit, and the problem
did NOT go away.  Ok, now I was finally convinced the sensors were at
fault.

I put the old board back in place, and pulled the sensors off their
brackets, and taped them to a stick so they were an inch or so apart,
and the door worked fine.  So, it looked like the sensors had gone bad.
I put the taped-together sensor assembly up on one of the wall studs and
ordered a new pair of "universal" sensors from Amazon.  While I was
waiting for the new sensors to arrive, even with the sensors taped
lens-to-lens, it wouldn't go down without holding the button.  I figured
the sensors were really, really dead.

The new sensors came about a week later, I installed them in all of
about ten minutes, and the door worked fine.  Problem solved!  Since it
was working so well, I got an RMA and returned the PCB.

About a week or so later, this afternoon, guess what?  Same problem
again.  Door won't go down without holding the button.  Sensors are
clean and well aligned, orange and green leds on the sensor are lit, and
the green one goes out when I interrupt the beam, but the door won't go
down without the button being held down.  I disengaged the door from the
traveler, and it still won't go down....increased the setting on the
"down" force pot, same problem.

I think I'm going to H.D. next week end and buy a whole new GDO and be
done with it.  I'm sick of this.