Re: [Shop-talk] aerosol cans

To: "'Tim .'" <tims_datsun_stuff@outlook.com>, "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] aerosol cans
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 09:04:59 -0700
> I have a bunch of cans, PB blaster, WD40, etc that have lost
> their pressure

What I usually do is re-pressurize them from the shop air.  Takes a certain
amount of coordination, but I hold the tip of the
(non-OSHA) air gun up to the opening of the spray button, then press the button
while pressing the valve on the air gun.  You may
need to repeat a few times as you empty the can (especially if the can was
still nearly full) but it gives a good spray for a while.

> I am wondering if anyone has punched open cans in this
> condition to salvage
> the rest of the penetrant/contents?

I've done that too.  The neat way is to drill a hole, but a prick punch & BFH
works well enough.

In fact, I'm in the habit of piercing cans before I throw them away; just to
remove any possibility of the can exploding when the
garbage is compacted.  For that, a sharp rap on the corner of the vise will
usually puncture the can.  They are surprisingly thin.

Randall