Re: [Shop-talk] air hose quick disconnects that don't leak

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air hose quick disconnects that don't leak
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:13:06 -0700
> I have the standard brass & 'other material' type ones from Lowes/HD/HF
> like these:
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/4-Piece-Solid-Brass-Industrial-uick-Coupler-Set-68241.html
>
> Problem is that fairly quickly they start to leak when connected and I'm
> getting sick of it.  Are there versions of these things that are more
> robust?

I use the 3/8in Tru-Flate type (probably overkill for most purposes) -
they also have a letter code, F maybe?  and I've got two or three
different varieties of the push-connect fittings:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-quick-disconnect-hose-couplings/=tw6rlp

I've been trying to get whip hoses on all my tools, buying NPT-to-NPT
whip hoses twice as long as I really want and cutting them in half,
sticking one of the hose-barb fittings in the cut hose, putting a couple
Oetiker ear clamps on it, and covering the clamps with heatshrink, then
the threaded ends of the resulting whip hoses screw into the tools.
Cheaper, fewer threaded connections, easily field-repaired if necessary.

I made a mistake when I initially plumbed my air system, I pointed all
the quick-couplers on the air plumbing down.  Eventually they'd all
accumulate just enough water and crud to corrode and leak when they were
NOT in use, which was an ongoing problem for a while.

I've gradually redone most of them so they no longer point down, and the
couple that still do are semi-permanently coupled to a hose reel or
something so they're not a problem.

John.