[Shop-talk] Follow up on skidding trailer AND a new question about the H

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Follow up on skidding trailer AND a new question about the Harbor Freight 16 ton Pipe bender
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 16:03:15 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 09/07/2014 16:03:18, Serialize complete at 09/07/2014 16:03:18
Yes. these are related questions...

First, I want to thank Miq once again for the great suggestion on moding
up my skidder.  It's coming out better than I expected.
While I'm still building this, I have a very important question about
material strength.
The last thing I need to build on my skidder is the bar that the chain
rides on.  Here is a link to the video in case you want to see it again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAtTP9-yUo

I need to know what size pipe do I need to use for this skidder bar.  The
two choices of pipe stock I have (I'll send another email about the steal
supply around here)  are...
2.25 ID steel pipe (16th wall thickness)  or a 1 5/8th ID steel pipe (8th
wall thickness.)
Here is the problem, if I go with the 2.25 pipe, I can't find any ring to
go around it.  With the 1 5/8th pipe, I could find the ring easily.
The bar will span about 64".  I don't know exactly what the weight one
side of the log will be (the pipe will only be point loaded for a brief
time.)

The second question is for anyone that bought one of Harbor Freight's pipe
bender.  My question is, do you have an neat ways to store it with all the
dies?

Thanks so much.  I can't wait to finish this skidder, I'll post photos
once I get it done.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson