Re: [Shop-talk] Need advice from mechanical engineering minded guys (so

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need advice from mechanical engineering minded guys (so I came the best place!)
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:06:41 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM, <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> So, here is my question...
> I really like the idea of the 'slide' type (the second one), but can you
> see if there is any real design flaw to this?  I can't find any reviews on
> this model.

I like the slider.  The maximum force in any one spot on the rod would be
when it's first pulled, or when it's fully supported at the top...at that
point, the force on the rod is very near the welded end.  Once it overcomes
the static friction, it moves along the rod and isn't concentrated in any
one spot for long.

Plus, it's simple.  Simple is better.  Let the log do the work, not you.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.