Re: [Shop-talk] Battery question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery question
From: Jack Brooks <JIBrooks@Live.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 19:16:21 -0700
Ni-Cad and NiMH are close enough to swap out in a trickle charge
environment.  NiMH are better typically higher density charge batteries.

The way to be sure they are not getting overcharged is to leave them on the
base for a few days and see if the batteries are getting warm.  NiMH will
shed the excess energy in the form of heat.  A little warm is OK.  Getting
hot is a problem.  If they get more than just warm to the touch, your base
charges at too high a rate and you should consider changing back to Ni-cad.

If the batteries are loose cells, not packs, I have had good success with
Harbor Freight NiMH batteries.  Catch them on sale or with a 20% coupon and
they are amazingly inexpensive.  You can make battery packs with a powerful
soldering gun, but only if you are really comfortable soldering, as it must
be done fast and hot to avoid damaging the batteries.