Re: [Shop-talk] Remote tank level sensing.

To: "markmiller@threeboysfarm.com" <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Remote tank level sensing.
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 07:26:37 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
It sounds like you'd want something solar on the tank-side.  Otherwise, you're
adding more maintenance to the system.

-Paul

> On May 30, 2014, at 3:34 PM, Mark Miller <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
wrote:

> Hi.  A friend asked me to come take a look when their water system failed
recently.  Problem was easy to diagnose and fix (a leak caused the tanks to
drain out faster than they filled up.  Leak fixed and the tanks refilled
within a few days) and I [foolishly] offered to help set something up so it
won't happen again as catastrophically.

> The situation: there are some spring fed storage tanks about 50-100 feet
away from the nearest source of power.  They typically remain full or nearly
so and there is a system to keep them full (manual float valves). I would like
to add some level sensors in the tank to indicate when the tank is less than
1/2-3/4 full (something might be awry) and another when the tank is almost
empty to disable the (remote from the tanks, but located near power) booster
pumps to prevent them from running dry and possibly overheating.

> The most straightforward would be to put sensors in the tanks and run wires
to relays at the pumps and indicators, but that would require trenching.
Anyone know of a good source for some battery operated transmitters and
battery or wired receivers?  These are rather slow changing signals, so
something that transmitted only at a change or had a transmit interval that
could be set to a long time would be better for battery life (but changing
batteries isn't that big a deal, just a pain).