Re: [Shop-talk] troubleshooting LED flashlight again

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] troubleshooting LED flashlight again
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:49:08 -0800
> the others that I
> bought previously are good lites with a long runtime for a single AA.

Like so many other things these days, quality control is non-existent.  If a
production problem arises, they may have made millions
of units before discovering it.  No telling when the problem arose, or how far
down the channel the defective units have gone.
Recalling all of the potentially defective units is a huge expense.  Since the
vast majority of customers will not pursue
satisfaction from a defective product, it winds up being cheaper to just accept
returns cheerfully and keep shipping potentially
defective product.

I went through something similar with some LED "head" lights (to be worn on the
forehead).  They work really well when they work.
Bought a 3-pack of a new model at Home Depot and one of them was dead right out
of the package.  Took it back, they gave me another
package, no comment at all.  Two of those died within a week.  Took it back,
got another 3 pack.  When two of those died within a
few weeks, I went back and was informed they don't carry them any more.  No
refund.  I probably could have made a fuss, but it was
less than $5 and just not worth the effort.

BTW, Horrible Freight was giving away lights similar to yours, and so far all
of them (that I got) are still working fine.  Still
purely luck of the draw with them, but the odds seem to be improving.

Randall