[Shop-talk] chain hoist question (electrically)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] chain hoist question (electrically)
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 20:49:29 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 12/01/2013 20:49:30, Serialize complete at 12/01/2013 20:49:30
Fellow shop-talkers,

I acquired a 1/2 chain hoist lift and I have some questions.

First off, I have photos I'm talking about (the important parts) are
here...

http://tinyurl.com/m3fj7c6

In the first photo, you see this is labeled 3 phase, 208 or 440.
In the photo below that, you see that there is a wiring block that changes
for 220V or 440v (left side of photo)
The top right photo is a wiring diagram.
The bottom right photo is the button controller (to make the lift go up
and down.)

Here are my questions...

Is there any way to wire this to work on Single Phase, maybe with reduced
power?
What is this thing worth?
Does anyone want/need this?

Finally, what could be the tar like substance that is all over that
controller?  Any ideas where this could have been used?  The buttons work,
but it just looks scary!  8>)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson