Re: [Shop-talk] Storage Container Rental

To: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Storage Container Rental
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:55:27 -0400
Cc: Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
My garage is 24' x 24' with a nice smooth crack-free concrete floor, and
the house is about 30 years old.  When I bought the house 7 years ago, I
painted the floor with epoxy (one of those kits form HD).  I did a careful
job with the prep, including a power-washing and an acid etch, and the job
looked great for a while, but after a couple of years it started
blistering, and and now it has random bare spots all over the place.

I had been despairing over what to do about it, but I recently discovered
that I can rent a diamond-blade concrete floor stripper that would get rid
of all the old paint in a few hour's work.  So now I can think about what
it could be replaced with.  Porcelain tile sounds cool, but it would be a
big expensive time-consuming job.  Instead I might use a better type of
epoxy or some other type of coating system, like polyurea or siloxane.

I would rather not use those plastic tiles, since I expect to do messy
things like sanding, grinding, and welding, which could damage the tiles.

The original job was easy to do since we hadn't yet moved into the house,
and the garage was empty.  But today the logistics are more complicated...

Doug