Re: [Shop-talk] Light Bulbs for Heating Purposes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Light Bulbs for Heating Purposes
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:32:50 +0000
> http://heatball.de/en/thesen.php
>
> Discuss.

Have to wait until it's closer to April 1.  I can't take any of that seriously.

"Light bulbs" have been being used as smallish heat sources for at least the
past 60 years that I know of.  My grandfather had a chicken egg incubator that
used light bulbs for heat.  When I was a kid, we used "heat lamps" to thaw out
frozen pipes and keep engine blocks from freezing (when they didn't have enough
antifreeze), or just to make the engines easier to start in the morning.  50
years ago, the Hasbro "Easy Bake Oven" was a big hit, and used an ordinary
light bulb as a heat source.

I even have a built-in heat lamp in my 1960 bathroom.

But electricity continues to be more expensive (per Btu) than any sort of
fossil fuel (at least here in the US, perhaps it's different in the UK).  And
light bulbs don't put out very much heat (even a 250 watt bulb is less than
1000 Btu/hr).  Nor are they any more efficient than any other resistance
heater.  Having the infrared is nice sometimes (feels good on your skin after a
shower), but there are other ways to generate that without using an expensive
and fragile glass bulb.

And FWIW, CFLs are just as efficient, in terms of heat output per watt.
Whatever light they produce gets turned back into heat, eventually, and still
accounts for a relatively small fraction of the input power.

Randall