Re: [Shop-talk] Installing multiple 240 outlets.

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing multiple 240 outlets.
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:07:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Just running a 240/40 amp outlet to the point I need it, then put a plug
> on the car charger and leave it plugged in.  Just unplug it when I need to
> use the welder.
>
> But, I was wondering if there was a way to hardwire the charger and have
> the plug open normally.  Is there any safety concern if I did this?

    I would be willing to bet that the charger has an owner's manual of
some sort that tells you explicitly how you may and may not wire it.  The
safety concern would be, obviously, that if you ( or someone less careful
) try to pull more than 20a from the plug while the charger is
operating, you will overload the circuit.  That will probably just trip
the breaker, but it isn't 'safe'.  Plus the possiblity of the charger
malfunctioning, and being hardwired without a disconnect switch (other
than the breaker).

    The cheapest proper way to do it would be your initial description, one
run, one 40a receptacle, and matching plugs on each device, plus the minor
inconvenience of unplugging the charger.

> BTW, for those that may be looking for an electric car, I did major
> amounts of research and extended test drives (with metrics) on three of
> them (Smartcar electric, Leaf, Volt.).  I went with the Chevy Volt because
> it was best for my needs (but might not be best for yours).  If anyone is
> considering one of these cars, let me know and I can send you my findings.

    No Ford Focus on your list?

    I get a kick out of my colleague who bought an electric motorcycle
recently ( Brammo ).  For what he spent, he could've bought a cheap Ducati,
invested the difference in a nice dividend-paying fund, and used the
proceeds to buy himself gas, and lunch everyday.  And he wouldn't need to
take the bike to Walgreens for a quick charge on lunch.

--
  David Hillman