Re: [Shop-talk] .25mm too big

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] .25mm too big
From: "Mark Miller" <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 11:48:47 -0700
Thread-index: Ac6nQ+RSJxULfXO3Rn+TCFy11A9RmA== s=q20121106; t=1378061327; bh=UhfrSHlBJ6W6RATb984l9U0Pkc5k1r2Ci41kpVxoa0A=; h=Received:Received:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=ZIs6lz70Wk3+lFYJyl4IiAcArulTpJ2aafoMsdJmyttfWORQQkKO03vwcgVWwrVPd Qaq6ifiVmK2ZbtaWj3f6M2+harCFoWw2aSQuqQvU6sPyw7rJsmWvVoS+yhPnIuMTKf OET+qhGV+e9Ww3KYS3O4HTqLpTDSrIYTR4LPRjzZU4kmR+vEo5usWGJozb7Aov91B7 HQuBO4FxHX2wvU7KgOzq3+OitcNd/3z+mKk4OBrUU1oBswAeTVDzSm4Qp8xRfNCJn7 RZ5CfByzzS3l/+CP0PpmkYzJ68ua366bgq+mmN+JeBR9vs1zgnSSpUb83U7/FEi3Jq XPHRhMBw7g8sA==
A few options you could try:
Since the bolt is not the hard to get item perhaps reassemble the original
one and mash the threads a bit after the nut is on as a lock.
Or: bend the nut to create the locking effect you need.
Or: run a tap through the holes the bolt will go through followed by a
sacrificial bolt that you will strip the hole out with to open it up a bit.
Or: get way longer bolts and bend then to act as a lock.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing to solve the problem.

Mark Miller
Also a happy Datsun roadster owner, happier that my nuts are secure!

Tim said:
<<<
I bought longer bolts for the linkage on my webers so I could use two
regurlar nuts locked together instead of nylocks. They are M5-.8 and are
approx one quarter of one mm too big to fit through the linkage pivots.
The bolts that came with the kit are also M5-.8.

M4s have too much slop and SAE bolts were too big as well.

I ran the new bolts through a die cutter but not much (enought) was cut off
(as expected).

I really don't want to try to drill out the linkage pivot and take a chance
of generating heat and screwing up the rubber bushing.

Thoughts please on what I can do to narrow down the bolts. Maybe a small
round file to try to open up the hole??

Thanks

tim