[Shop-talk] Recoil starter repair?

To: 'Shop Talk List' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Recoil starter repair?
From: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 18:22:38 -0700
I need to replace the nylon pull rope on my log splitter.  It's an older
(probably about 20 years) Briggs, vertical shaft, 5HP with a full
plastic shroud over the motor.  It looks like the gas tank is built into
the shroud, but I haven't looked closely.  Anyway, the cord is all
frayed and I need to replace it, or have it replaced.  I haven't dug out
the manual yet, but wanted to get a sense for how much trouble it is to
do it myself.  If it's a PITA or I would need a special puller I might
just tow it down to the local small engine place and let them do it.