Re: [Shop-talk] Fix or replace washer?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fix or replace washer?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 15:20:42 -0400
On 8/3/2013 1:53 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
> Weve got a 15 or so old ge washing machine. I believe the timer has failed.
> The motor runs if I jumper it. My question is it worth fixing. Timer is $100
> or &150, depending on source and wait time. It's a plastic tub machine, not
> quite bottom of line, but close.

I'm a big fan of "fix it", but if it's that old and an econo' model I'd
be inclined to replace.

The [ex]wife & I had a cheap GE top-load washer back in 2003. Then we
had a recently divorced family member shack up with us for a while till
she was back on her feet. During that time we bought a Whirpool Duet
front-loader pair, and I freakin' love the things, despite the price
tag. My propane (hot water) and electric bill actually dropped
noticeably after buying it, WITH a 3rd person in the house. And it
didn't shred the ladies' delicate [expensive] stuff like the old
agitator did. It spins the water out in the washer, so you don't have to
burn crazy energy to overcome water's absurd latent heat of vaporization
to boil it out in the dryer. Electric dryer load usually finishes in
under 30 [sometimes 20] minutes.

Caveat: dryer puked a temp sensor 1 month out of warranty. Both units
have an extensive printed service manual inside the cabinet if you pull
3 screws to get in. Self diagnostics are easy. Parts was $20 and an easy
install. Local small town appliance shop didn't even ask what it was,
they had a box right behind the counter. Whirlpool's quality is a little
spotty, but parts are cheap and they're easy to work on. G.E. parts are
expensive, and I despise their corporation. The Korean brands look good
but I don't know about getting them services.

   -Wayne