Re: [Shop-talk] Powerline Network Adapter

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Powerline Network Adapter
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 07:19:33 +0100
Peter Murray wrote:
> I have used with good success the Netgear Ethernet over Power adapters. I
> have used the XE102 and XE104 adapters, both of which are no longer in
> production. Their actual throughput is about half of their raw throughput,
> but they work well.
>
> If you buy a set, test them and be prepared to return them - in case they
> do not work between the outlets you choose.

+1 on the Netgear stuff. I have used their Wireless-N Powerline AV200
Extender Kit for 18 months and been happy with it. Bought it from Amazon
and have not had to return it.

I don't have Peter's expertise to be able to measure its output but it
appears quite adequate. We live in an old house with many brick walls.
As far as I can see wifi signals travel vertically much better than
laterally, in others words walls present more resistance than floors.
Hence the need for the extender. It worked well in the shop, a separate
building about 30 feet from the house, when tried as an experiment.

Nick Brearley