Re: [Shop-talk] chicken yard

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chicken yard
From: Matt Wehland <mjw@littlegrassy.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 20:39:47 -0500
Try looking into some chicken forums.
I've never had any, but seriously looked into chickens when I lived in
the country.
The one thing every body agreed on is 'chicken wire' isn't.  It is
useless against predators, too light to offer much protection.
Hardware cloth is what was recommended.
I read too many stories of people using chicken wire and then still
loosing birds.
Also keep in mind the paw size of predators, many will reach in and pull
the heads off of the chickens, even if they can't get in the coop
themselves.
And don't forget some will dig under the pen.
You basically need a full cage, side/top and bottom protection.

Some chicken sites, no idea how good they are any more-
www.backyardchickens.com/
http://www.chickenforum.com/f20/
http://poultrycommunity.com/forum/forum.php

Matt