Re: [Shop-talk] Strange electrical house issues

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Strange electrical house issues
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:21:05 -0500 FILETIME=[9ACB98C0:01CE295B]
am home now and think I understand what is up and what needs to be done.
It is actually pretty simple in the end, but given
the way it was done
originally, I still want to run things by this group before
I fix it.

I traced the wires back to the panel and from the outlet box out.  The two
wire conduit was the circuit in, the
three wire went out to the ceiling
fan/light box.  (My recollection about the two switch boxes was
wrong; it was
a single box with a double switch.) Here is where it gets
interesting.  The
red and black wires
were just connected together in the switch box.
So, that
explains why the red wire was hot in the outlet; it was just coming
back that
way from the switch box.

The black and red wires were joined in the switch box  with another black for
the next circuit and a jumper wire that went to the common side of the duplex
switch.  Another three wire left the
switch box for the fan/light.  All three
whites
were joined and the new red/black/wires wires went off to the
fan/light.

So, while I still don't understand what was done to begin, it seems to me
that
all I have to do now is ignore the red wire in the outlet box and wire
the
outlet as normal with a white/black in and a white/black out to the fan
switch
box.  I think the switch as wired will be
fine.

Does this all make sense?  Am I missing
anything?  It seems too easy after
the
complications and I am still left with a nagging doubt about how and why
it was originally wired.

As
for the original, I think I know now how it
was wired and what I did wrong when
I replaced the outlet.  The two white
wires should have been on the same side, with just the red wire on the other.
It would be making a very circuitous route,
from the outlet box to the switch
box and back, but I think it would work.  Still, it would be much easier to
just eliminate it and wire it the normal way.
Correct?

As
always,
thanks!