Re: [Shop-talk] Wall Tile Removal

To: Glenn Owen <mgowen55@hotmail.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wall Tile Removal
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:40:10 -0500
Did this a few years back, though I needed to protect the tub, which was the
hardest part of the demolition... which you don't need to worry about.
I didn't have one then, but I have a oscillating multi tool now that comes
with a grout removal bit.  A sawzall will probably make more dust and possibly
do more damage from vibration to surrounding structure... if that matters..
same with a hammer or sledge.  Another idea might be an air hammer which is an
underrated tool in my opinion that I often forget about :-)
My recollection is that once I had way to get behind the tile/backer/lath/etc
that I could peel it off easily with my hands into chunks that would fit into
a trash bag.  Again, less dust/noise/damage this way.
-PJ