Re: [Shop-talk] Off-topic-post alert. Anyone know of a good credit check

To: eric@megageek.com, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Off-topic-post alert. Anyone know of a good credit check database for landlords?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 22:56:21 -0600
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM,  <eric@megageek.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Since it's cold out and traffic here is real low, I'd thought I'd bother
> the list with a non-shop related question...
>
> It's been years since I had to replace a tenant, so I don't know which
> credit background check databases are good for landlords doing checks.
>
> I have name, DOB, and SSN.
>
> Free is great, but I don't mind paying a modest fee.

You'll need the current address, and possibly previous addresses.  You
also need permission to run a credit check; your state may require you
to get it writing, and it's a good idea to, even if they don't.

My co-op association (via the management company) has used several
different companies, and they all suck.  That's not helpful, but It's
what we've found.  Some of it is data related, some states and
counties don't report data electronically, or do it rather
sporadically.  So criminal (mostly misdemeanor) and small scale civil
(like, oh, evictions) might no't show up or show up horribly wrong.
Some of the reporting services are tied to one of the credit bureaus,
and so won't use the other two's data.  If they're wrong, you may make
a bad decision.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com