Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: Auto thermometers and clocks

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fw: Auto thermometers and clocks
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 21:07:56 -0500
On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> Wow, is consumer GPS really that bad?

The average dashboard GPS is lucky to get within a hundred feet.  It
uses an algorithm that assumes you are on a roadway to put your car
icon in the right place...

> I'll admit I'm out of touch, since I
> work in a higher accuracy field; but we can generally hit within a foot (20
> cm RMS) even with just WAAS corrections.  And we get all kinds of heat if
> we're off by even 6" with our global correction service.  Local network RTK
> is even better.

Having spent some time in that field myself, I know just what you
mean.   With GPS plus a correction service, I was able to use the last
recorded position to go back out later and find the receiver battery
that fell off the tractor without anyone noticing.  The system took me
to within 6 inches of where the battery was half-buried in the tall
grass.  But our Trimble R6 base and rover could do better than
that...I've been able to locate plot corners from previous year's
experiments by navigating to the spot and digging directly underneath
the base of the rover pole.