[Shop-talk] UPDATE- True "keyless" entry add on

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] UPDATE- True "keyless" entry add on
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:07:40 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 02/02/2013 11:06:17, Serialize complete at 02/02/2013 11:06:17
Here is an update on getting TRUE 'keyless entry' into a vehicle.

First, thanks a ton to Todd for finding this information.

I eventually ordered the keypad (and CANBUS module) for my vehicle.  It
was about $270 total.  Both parts were high quality and I was impressed.
Since the module was more for remote starters, the wiring I needed to do
wasn't represented in the
directions.  I few emails to A1 and I had the info I needed (Note, their
tech only works with email. Calling them only gets you a sales person.
While this isn't ideal, they are friendly and willing to work with you.)

Routing wires through the vehicle was a pain (but not as big of a pain as
the rear camera wiring when I had a two-way tail gate and VUX dual
firewall!).  Of course drilling and mounting the keypad is nerve racking
and on this truck, you can't mount it in the ideal location.

Once installed, it all worked perfectly (and looks pretty cool.)  I would
recommend this to anyone that wants add one to their vehicle.

My only regret is that I didn't get the 'thought the windshield' keypad.
It would have saved about 80% of the labor time and I would be able to
easily transfer it to another vehicle.

If anyone does want to try it, I quickly made a rough wiring diagram by
photoshoping the two instruction manuals together and I'll be more than
happy to email it to anyone that wants it.  (However, your vehicle's
CANBUS module may be different.)

Overall, I'm a happy camper and the truck is 98% completed (I'm just
waiting on the custom cross rails for the roof rack from Vintage auto.)

Thanks again Todd and to everyone on this list!

Eric P
Waldo Emerson

         Found this.  Saw the system listed for around $170.  I assume
you'd have to cut an opening in the door for the keypad.
         Other thing that would concern me is that in most newer vehicles
many systems communicate electronically via CANBUS and any add-on would
have to not upset the computers.  On my TDI, for example, the door lock
unit has several micro switches that report on the state of the lock and
handle position and transmit that info to the car.  This info is used to
activate/set off the alarm, turn on interior lights, etc.  I'd want to be
darn sure that this sort of item will work in your specific vehicle before

shelling out the dough.

http://www.keyless.com/vehiclekeyless.htm

Pricing from here:
<
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=AKE-5

         This is clever, the "keypad" is behind the windshield so no
cutting.  Don't know what company makes the system they install or if it
can be done by a DIY'er.
http://www.enormis.net/products/product?id=56&category_id=6

Todd